Serving It RightServing It Right

BC’s Responsible Beverage Service Program

Distributed by go2Distributed by go2


Frequently Asked Questions

New Users

  1. Q. I have a serving program certificate from another province: do I still need to take Serving It Right?
    A. Certain province's valid certificates are recognized by the BC government if you are working as a server or a bartender. If you are a licensee, working as a manager, or working in a retail liquor store, you will still need to obtain Serving It Right. As the regulations vary from province to province, your employer may still require that you obtain the BC Serving It Right certificate as a best practice. For a list of recognized programs, please click here.

  2. Q. I'm moving to another province, is my Serving It Right valid in that province?
    A. If you have a Serving It Right certificate and are relocating to another province, please contact the responsible beverage provider for that province regarding information on exemptions or transfer of certifications.

  3. Q. How much does the program cost?
    A. Course materials are free whether you register online or choose to study from the print manual. Payment is required to write the exam. The cost for the online exam is $35. The cost to take the exam via the print option is $40; which includes a plastic certificate card. The cost to re-write the exam, both online and in print is $10 (if did not initially pass the exam).

  4. Q. What are my payment options?
    A. For the online exam you must complete the registration process and provide payment prior to accessing the exam. You may pay via credit card (Visa or MasterCard), INTERAC® Online service, or PayPal. If you prefer to take a print exam, please contact us and we will mail you an exam. For the print exam, you must complete the registration form and send in your payment (cheque or money order) with your completed exam. You will receive your exam results after your payment has been processed. If you live in the Lower Mainland, you may also pay via cash, cheque, Visa, MasterCard or debit card at the go2HR office. At this time we do not accept Visa Debit as payment for the Serving It Right exam.

  5. Q. What if I don't have a credit card to pay for the exam online?
    A. You can purchase a prepaid credit card from your bank, supermarket or convenience store as long as it's of equal or greater value than $35, use INTERAC® Online service, or set up a PayPal account. For more information on INTERAC® Online service, please click here. For more information on PayPal, please click here. If you live in the Lower Mainland, you may also pay via cash, cheque, Visa, MasterCard or debit card at the go2HR office.

  6. Q. What kind of exam do I have to take to get my certificate?
    A. In order to receive your Serving It Right certificate, you must pass a multiple-choice exam, consisting of 30 randomly generated questions. The pass rate is 80%, or 24 questions answered correctly.

  7. Q. Is there a time limit on the exam?
    A. No, there is no time limit on the exam. However if you need to step away you can log out and log back in again to continue where you left off as long as you do not press the submit button.

  8. Q. Is there a minimum age requirement to obtain a Serving It Right certificate?
    A. There is no minimum age requirement on who can obtain a Serving It Right certificate.

  9. Q. Is there a minimum age requirement to serve alcohol in British Columbia?
    A. Minors employed in food primary establishments who are 16 or older may serve liquor but may not open bottles, pour or mix liquor. Minors serving liquor must be under the supervision of adult staff.

    Minors may not be employed in liquor primary establishments except when special permission is received from the Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch. When special permission is received to permit minors in your establishment you may employ minors as long as they are not employed to sell or serve liquor at any time. The only exception to the rule is minors employed at stadiums who are 16 years of age or older may serve liquor but may not open bottles, pour or mix liquor. Minors serving liquor must be under the supervision of adult staff.

  10. Q. Is Serving It Right offered in different languages?
    A. At this time Serving It Right is only offered in English.

  11. Q. How long does it take to study the Serving It Right course?
    A. It takes approximately 4 hours to study the course. We recommend that individuals study the course before taking the exam. Below is a breakdown of approximately how long it will take to study each section.

    Getting Started: 20 minutes
    Alcohol Effects & Intoxication: 50 minutes
    Alcohol & the Law: 50 minutes
    Responsible Beverage Service: 2 hours

Returning Users

  1. Q: I can't log into my account. What should I do?
    A: If you cannot remember your password, try the "Password Reminder". If your account has been deactivated, please contact us.

  2. Q. I lost my password. How can I access my account?
    A. Go to the Password Reminder page and submit the required information Your password will be emailed to you. If you still experience difficulties, please contact us.

  3. Q. I lost my card. How can I get another one?
    A. You may log onto the site and choose to print your own certificate at no cost, or order a plastic card through go2HR for $5. If you are unable to log in, please contact us.

  4. Q. Why would I pay an additional fee for a card?
    A. You can print out a certificate if you have a printer attached to your computer. This will be accepted by liquor inspectors; however, some people like to have a sturdier card for their wallets.

  5. Q. If I pay and start a test online, but don’t complete it, can I get a refund?
    A. No. Once you have read and accepted the terms of service you have agreed to take the test online and there are no refunds.

  6. Q. I completed my Server or Licensee certificate on paper, but want to do the updated program online. How can I do that?
    A. Please contact us.

  7. Q. Can I order a card after writing my exam?
    A. Yes you can. Log into your account, and select either the ‘print certificate’ icon or the ‘order certificate’ icon.

  8. Q. I received my Server certificate prior to the program changes made in 2007. Do I need to take the updated Serving It Right program?
    A. Not necessarily. All current certificates are still valid. Only new applicants, staff working in retail liquor stores and staff being assigned management duties are required to take the updated program.

  9. Q. I received my Licensee certificate prior to the program changes made in 2007. Do I need to take the updated Serving It Right program?
    A. No; however, you may choose to re-certify.

  10. Q. I received my R certificate prior to the program changes made in 2012. My manager has asked me to take the program again. Do I need to do this?
    A. Although not required by law, an employer may require you to re-certify, and provide them a copy of your updated certification.

  11. Q. Why would I take the updated Serving It Right program if I don’t have to?
    A. In today's legal environment, increasing responsibility is being placed on licensees, managers and servers related to the service of alcohol. The new program puts more emphasis on signs of intoxication, legal liability, duty of care on and off premises, and the necessity to create and enforce responsible beverage service policies. It is to the benefit of anybody involved in serving alcohol to have the most up-to-date knowledge.

  12. Q. Why do Licensees, Managers and Servers all take the same Serving it Right program?
    A. From floor staff to management and owners, the principles of responsible beverage service are the same. Now, more than ever, alcohol providers must take steps to minimize the risks of litigation. A single program that teaches and reinforces the same messages to all employees provides a business with consistent training that is the best defense towards prevention.

  13. Q. I've changed my name, how do I obtain an updated Serving It Right certificate?
    A. We can change your name on your Serving It Right certificate if you provide us with a copy of a legal document showing your previous name and current name. Documents can be your birth certificate, driver's license, marriage certificate, etc. Please write a short note requesting your name change and include your date of birth. You may fax it to 604-633-9796 or email us.

  14. Q. Does my Serving It Right certificate expire?
    A. Yes, the Serving It Right certificate does expire. If you received your Serving It Right certificate before September 15, 2015, your certification is still valid and will expire September 15, 2020. If you received your certificate after September 15, 2015 the expiry date will appear on your certificate.

  15. Q. Do I need to re-certify now that recreational cannabis is legal?
    A. Although you are not required by law to recertify, your employer can ask you to recertify at any time. It is good practice to refresh your knowledge, as there have been significant changes to the course with the legalization of recreational use of cannabis.